Sinus Lift Post Operative Instructions
Because of the close relationship between the upper back teeth and the sinus, a communication (opening) between the sinus and mouth sometimes results from surgery. Certain precautions will assist healing and we ask that you faithfully follow these instructions:
At times, oral surgery is accompanied by some degree of discomfort. For moderate pain, take 400 mg of Ibuprofen with 500 mg of Acetaminophen (Extra Strength Tylenol) every 4 hours at the same time. It is most effective if taken around the clock for the first 72 hours following surgery.
If pain is not manageable with Ibuprofen and Extra Strength Tylenol, you may replace the Extra Strength Tylenol with one (1) Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen, if prescribed. **DO NOT TAKE EXTRA STRENGTH TYLENOL AND HYDROCODONE-ACETAMINOPHEN AT THE SAME TIME.**
Always verify the dosage on your bottle at home before taking any medications. Dosages vary per bottle.
Ibuprofen Maximum Dose: 2400 mg per day
Acetaminophen Maximum Dose: 3000 mg per day
Do not take the above medications if you are allergic to them or have been instructed not to by your physician. Do not take Ibuprofen products if you take blood thinners such as Coumadin or Plavix. Do not take any of the above medication if you are allergic to them, or have been instructed by your doctor not to take it. Do not drive an automobile or work around machinery. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Pain or discomfort following surgery should subside more and more every day. If pain persists, it may require attention and you should call the office.
- Do not forcefully spit for several days.
- Do not smoke for several days.
- Do not use a straw for several days.
- Do not forcefully blow your nose for at least two weeks, even though your sinus may feel “stuffy” or there may be some nasal drainage.
- Try not to sneeze; it will cause undesired sinus pressure. If you must sneeze, keep your mouth open.
- Eat only soft foods for several days, always trying to chew on the opposite side of your mouth.
- Do not rinse vigorously for several days. Gentle salt water swishes may be used.
Slight bleeding from the nose is not uncommon for several days after the surgery. Please keep our office advised of any change in your condition, especially if drainage or pain increases. It is important that you keep all future appointments until this complication has resolved. Our office can be reached at Carol Stream Office Phone Number 630-909-0500.
Download/Print: Sinus Lift Post-Op Instructions
Download/Print: Instrucciones Postoperatorias – Precauciones Sinusales